Tricky Conversations Toolkit
This playful activity helps you to facilitate tricky conversations around equality and diversity.
It uses cards with prompts to direct discussions, in a way that gives space to everyone to speak without forcing people to speak if they feel uncomfortable. The game is flexible – it could be used as a planned activity or on an ad hoc basis to tackle tricky conversations as they arise.
This playful activity fits into the ACT change model Steps 1 & 2: agreeing aims and outcomes.
Full instructions for the game are here:
Instructional design focussed primarily on creating spaces for participants to share their beliefs and experiences, where all voices have a chance to be heard but no-one is forced to speak. The form taken involves a card deck with prompts on the cards. Each player draws a card and has a chance to “say”, “ask” or “discuss” the prompt on the card (or choose not to speak if they wish).
- Participants have increased understanding of equality and diversity issues
- Participants’ beliefs, reactions and assumptions are gently uncovered and challenged
- Staff feel more comfortable taking the lead on equality and diversity conversations
- Staff are more aware of their own beliefs and their professional values are developed further
- To participate in healthy, constructive conversations around equality and diversity.
All of the other ACT games can be accessed from this page: ACT Minigames